Skip to main content

Response to "How to Ruin a Great Design" Article

Personally, I wasn't fond of the article; although, I do respect Ms.Rawsthorn's opinion. First, I completely agree with the idea of a more simplistic design for a road sign. A sign should also have even sized lettering as to not have a driver's attention completely focused on one a single detail. In the case of traffic signs, design is everything, and it's one of those things that can be easily ruined. However, when I read on about the change in UPS's logo, I immediately felt disconnected with Ms.Rawsthorn. I searched an image of the old and current UPS logos so I can better understand her position. The current one, while I agree could've been better and less generic (this is the same response I have for Citroën's logo), seemed to fit with today's market. The article that was linked to the image I found lists the reasons for a company changing it's logo, which one reason was the old logo feels out of touch with the era. Another reason I wasn't fond of Ms.Rawsthron's article was the fact she didn't include an example of a good design change (aside from the road sign example). Had she included one and contrasted it to one of the bad design changes, I would've had a better grasp of the comparison she was making. Overall, while I do agree that a few of these examples, such as the "Diverted cyclists" road sign and the Citroën logo, are inadequate redesigns, I don't fully understand how a person can ruin a design. Perhaps with a little experience, I'll come to better understand Ms. Rawsthorn's warning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Large & in Charge (Logo, Letterhead, Business Card, and Mug Design)

Illustrator Project

Homework #6 Part 1 (Movie Plot for Project)

Within the Abyss The ethereal realm is on the brink of collapse due to the influx of ghosts overcrowding the area. The reason they cannot move on is due to the grudge and regret they have had in their previous lives, their violent behavior if they were evil in those past lives, or an unpaid debt keeping them bound to the ethereal realm. Some of the ghosts have seeped into the physical world, and if this keeps up, both versions of the world will collapse in on each other due to both worlds cancelling each other out if they interact too much. The only person who can reconcile with the dead is a 23-year old college student named Ian. Ian was born with the ability to sense spirits, but never learned to hone his ESP ability. In fact, most people call him a schizophrenic or delusional, so he lived his life dismissing his abilities. He lives a bland and broken life: he suffers from an alcohol addiction, is unemployed, and tends not to have many friends to relate with. His parents pay for